Sunday, April 19, 2009

We did it!

Yesterday was a historic day. We decided that the Binky was history. (At least in Gabe's case. We will give Lydia a least another year.) I put Gabe down as usual. Instead of sleeping he played in his room, broke his lamp, and took pictures off the wall. When we went to get him up I decided that it was time. I am no longer going to put him down for naps. I know, I know, I am very brave. And, since we haven't actually tried this whole no nap thing out, it might not last. But, I do think it is time. When I had this realizations I also decided that if he is old enough to stop taking regular naps, it is time to ditch the Binky too.

We tried to get rid of the Binky last summer. We went almost 2 weeks without it. Then we went on vacation. The first night camping, he cried all night long. This is when we decided that it would be better for us and our fellow campers if we went to the store and bought a Binky. Since then he only gets them when he is sleeping.

Last night he didn't want to go to bed. I was ready to give up. My wonderful husband, who is much tougher than me, said no way. He went up and had a little chat with Gabe. When Gabe realized that he wasn't getting a Binky he gave up and asked if he could sleep with his Jeep instead. So that is what he did, there was no more crying and he fell fast asleep.

We will have to see what tonight brings.

2 comments:

singinggoldielocks said...

Oh! That rough time! I tried taking the binkie away from Jakobie a number of times but he always stole Aiden's. Finally, when he turned three, I had enough and said "enough!" They both lost their binkies. It took a week or two but they haven't missed it since and don't bother Teja and her binkies.

The nap thing- good luck! Jakobie, I finally realized, grew out of his naps but I tried to have "quiet time" when Aiden was still napping and I was pregnant with Teja. It worked pretty good.

LSnow said...

Aren't Dads a great blessing. They seem to have more stamina to stand up to things where Moms just melt.