So I realize that it has been 3 months since I posted anything. I just haven't been very good about taking pictures lately and there is a lot to catch up on. I actually haven't downloaded pictures from my camera since that last post about Gabe's birthday party! I am going to jump ahead to Mother's Day and I will go back and fill in the blank later.
I am a mother. I have two young kids who I am lucky to get to stay home and take care of. Some days I don't feel so lucky. Some days my children scream at me, what seems like 90% of the time. Some days they tell me that they hate me, that they wish they had a different mommy, or that they are going to "find" a better mommy. It is times like these I wish I worked full time and could scoot them off to a sitter or have a sitter come in and take care of the tantrums and fits.
All mothers know that there are hard days. Just like in any job. There are days you want to throw in the towel and say I give in. You win. I just am not cut out for this.
Just like any other job I have co-workers. My number one co-worker is my husband. He is almost always Employee of the Month. On those hard days I can call him and talk through my discouragements and frustrations. On those days he tells me that I am doing a great job. He tells me that the world really isn't coming to an end. He lets me know that even if Gabe didn't get into the school I wanted him to, Kindergarten will still be a good experience. He tells me I am beautiful, awesome, and amazing. He never fails to tell me that he loves me. He spent hours helping me build my chicken coop, that he swore he wasn't going to touch and swore would be my responsibility. He is the best partner for me.
As wonderful as my husband is, Mother's Day in the past has not always been what I expected or hoped for. There have been many years when his plans and my expectation haven't exactly lined up. Now, don't get me wrong, he has tried, he really has.
This year I wanted there to be no misunderstandings, or disappointments. I took him to the grocery store with the kids. While I collected groceries I sent him to pick out a card. I planned a breakfast that I could put together the night before and all he needed to do was put it in the oven Sunday morning. I picked up a small bunch of flowers at Winco and put them in a vase. I picked up a few gifts for myself as well.
When my sister saw that I had planned everything out for Mother's Day for myself she told me I was a control freak. I simply explained to her that I am not a control freak I just wanted a Mother's Day that we could all enjoy. A Mother's day that is relaxed and fun with no hurt feelings, no disappointments.
Let me tell you, this Mother's Day was one of our best! We were all relaxed and had fun together. I was so grateful to be a mother. I was showered with hugs and kisses from my kids. I heard "I love you mom." consistently throughout the day. Breakfast was delicious. Everything turned out great.
I am grateful to be a mom. I am grateful that I have 2 (mostly) wonderful kids who love me, even when they are telling me that they hate me. I am grateful to have a wonderful man by my side through it all. I am grateful to have a wonderful mother who raised me and taught me all I know about mothering. I am grateful to have "co-workers" in this job of raising children. I am grateful to be a mother.
2 comments:
OK, so I am totally laughing right now, because this sounds exactly how our Mother's Day went this year! I am always a bit sad on Mother's Day because somehow it's not what I had thought it should be. But with my "planning and helping" it went much better now. Or maybe it's just because we've been married long enough that he is finally getting it. =) Thanks for making me feel like I'm not the only one.
Haha, I too am laughing, while saying aww on the inside. I think it's funny how people seem to think that we can't tell people exactly what we want and expect of them for birthdays/holidays. Doesn't it just make life easier for everyone??
Post a Comment