Friday, September 26, 2008

I am a Cystic Fibrosis Carrier!

Ok, so, I will start from the beginning. A little over a week ago I went to one of my many OB appts. I arrived at the office hoping to discover if the little alien growing in me is a boy or a girl. Unfortunately our baby is stubborn, (I dont know where he/she gets that from!) and, likes to sit Indian style. So, hoping for good news we left with a lot of bad news or potentially bad news. First, the Dr. said that I might have a slight placenta previa which would take away almost any chance of trying to have a VBAC. Then he told us that the placenta could also be, or could in the future be, over the area where my scar is from my previous C-Section. Then he said that we needed a plan in place so that if I do have to be hospitalized for my last trimester or stuck on strict bedrest we had support and help with Gabe. Finally he told us that there is a possibility that there was some stuff showing up on the ultrasound that could mean our little peanut has Cystic Fibrosis. WOW! As you all can imagine I had a little BREAK DOWN!
I wasnt really concerned as much about the possibility of Cystic Fibrosis as there is no family history on either side. For those of you who dont know it is a genetic defect that causes the disease. Cystic Fibrosis affects that lung and bowel. It causes thickened secretions in both. There are treatments, but no cure. The average person with CF lives to be 36 or 37. Depending on how severe there case is. So Jon went yesterday to get tested. We both have to be carriers to pass it on to our kids. Our children can be carriers though since I am. We should get his results back this next week sometime and if he is a carrier too they will do an amniocentesis at my next appt. I am feeling a lot better about things now that I have done research and know what having a baby with CF can entail. If anyone has information about any of this that they want to share please feel free. We would love to hear about it! I have to also say that I am so grateful for the gospel and for priesthood blessings. They are helping me see the eternal perspective on all of this and I know that everything will work out no matter what.

2 comments:

singinggoldielocks said...

Keep us posted- You are in our prayers along with the baby!

Tiff

Janette said...

Erin!!! Holy cow, lots to digest!! Are you doing okay with everything? I wish there was something I could do to fix it all...when do you find out for sure about Jon's test? Well you are so lucky to have such a strong support system so close, both families live here, friends, and it sounds like you have a good ward to help out too, let me know what I can do to help, k? I saw on your facebook that you wanted to know if anyone knew anybody with CF and I was like, "what for?" but then I read your blog. Anyways, I know a girl with CF. She works at RC Willey with me and she has 2 little boys, such a cute little family. Anyways, she is like the nicest girl ever and I'm sure that she would love to answer any questions you might have so let me know if you want her phone number or whatever, I can get it for you. You are in my prayers and I am thinking about you!!!
Janette